expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Pages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Interview with Mike Del: "Pursuing the Life Long Dream"

Hello everyone. This article I am posting was originally written for my Journalism class this past semester. Now that my semester is officially over, I am posting this article on my sports blog in case anyone wants to read it. Here it is:


Pursuing a Life Long Dream: The Story of an Aspiring Professional Wrestler
(photo above: Mike Del. Taken from Google Images)

By: Kalind Patel

During our childhood, people would ask us “What do you want to be when you grow up”. Most children would say a doctor, firefighter, teacher, engineer, etc. However, if someone said professional wrestler, a lot of people would get surprised with that response. It’s rare, but definitely not unheard of for someone to want to become a professional wrestler since they were kids. Wrestling with Green Pinstripes sits down with an aspiring professional wrestler by the name of Mike Del for an exclusive Q & A session.

  • Q: How did you get into professional wrestling?
  • Mike: When I was 6 years old, I sat down with my father in the living room, as he had WCW wrestling on television. Guys like Glacier, Rey Mysterio Jr., and a few other really built individuals caught my attention; my eyes were glued to the TV the entire time, and from that moment on I was hooked. I would continue to watch WCW every single week, and about a year and a half later I would find myself watching the WWF.
  • Q: Nice to hear that. Who were your favorite wrestlers growing up?
  • Mike: Rey Mysterio and “Stone Cold” Steve Austin were the first two that really inspired me. As I grew older though, watching every week and learning about the past, guys like Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Undertaker, Randy Savage, Ric Flair, and Triple H would be added to the list.
  • Q: Around which year did you decide to pursue a career in professional wrestling? Who supported your decision?
  • Mike: I decided to pursue a career in the industry when I was 20 years old (2010). I met an individual by the name of Corvis Fear, who helped train me. We would actually train outside in the summer time, in 90 degree weather, and the canvas was vinyl, so it was hot as hell whenever I took a bump. He helped open doors for me, helped me network, and I was in there. Everyone supported me, my father, my mother, and my friends. They all knew this is all I ever wanted since I was 6, so they were happy I was getting to do what I've always wanted. Something a lot of people can't say.
  • Q: Now I know that every wrestler has to start somewhere small, and then aim big. When did you make your official debut?
  • Mike: My official debut was on November 5, 2010 -- in Elyria, Ohio, for a place called Beyond Wrestling. It's not like other wrestling promotions, as it was closed to the public. I wrestled in front of the boys, a.k.a the other wrestlers, and it was streamed on their website for the actual fans.
  • Q: How do you manage to stay in shape for every match?
  • Mike: When I first started out, I wasn't exactly in the best of shape, but that changed rather quickly. Your diet and training in the gym have to be immaculate, and also being in the ring consistently helps a lot.
  • Q: This is a what-if scenario. What if one day Triple H (currently the Executive Vice President of Talent and Live Events) makes a visit to PWS and offers you to come to WWE's training facility for a tryout? What would be your response?
  • Mike: In that scenario, you bet your a** I would take that offer. Wouldn't even think twice about it. The ultimate destination in my career is the WWE.
  • Q: What advice would you give to people who want to pursue a career in professional wrestling?
  • Mike: As far as advice to people who want to get into this business -- Work, Hustle, Kill. It's a motto I live by. Work smart, hustle hard, and kill everything in your path to what you want. Join a gym and get your a** in shape, tons and tons of cardio. Get your diet in check. Do your best to actually look like a damn pro wrestler. Do not “half a**” anything, if this is what you really want, put in the time and effort and mold it into something. The best place to train to become a wrestler right now is PWS (Pro Wrestling Syndicate). Guys like Pat Buck, Kevin Matthews, Mo Sexton, and Dan Maff will help get you to wherever it is you want to be. Listen and learn and just have fun.
  • Q: Do you have any social media accounts where people can reach you? Such as an official Facebook page, Twitter account, etc?
  • Mike: I hate social media, but I understand the importance of it. I have a Facebook and YouTube page for right now.

-          YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/iPushfatkids98

-          Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/TheMDel

  • Q: I like to thank you for your time off your busy schedule for this interview.
  • Mike: You're extremely welcome for this interview. Thank YOU.

PWS is known as Pro Wrestling Syndicate, an independent professional wrestling promotion based in Woodside, NY, while the school is based in Metuchen, NJ. PWS runs live events throughout the Northeast area of the United States. Del is currently one of the students of Pro Wrestling Syndicate. Notable wrestlers who have made appearances for PWS include, but not limiting to: Matt Hardy, Shane Helms, John Morrison, Scott Steiner, Tommy Dreamer, and many more. For more information on PWS, visit their website at http://bedofnailz.com/pwshome.html to learn more about PWS, merchandise, and for purchasing tickets to their events.

No comments:

Post a Comment